Agassiz to allow more homes on farmland

The District of Kent has given the go-ahead to create a new zone that will allow ALR-exempt lots to be subdivided for housing

By Grace Kennedy | October 15, 2021 |12:24 pm

This story appeared first in the Current’s daily newsletter. To get immediate access to every story we publish, sign up below.

It’s official. The District of Kent has approved the creation of a new type of residential zone that will allow more houses on farmland, without impacting the ALR. The Current reported on the district’s idea to allow ALR-exempt lots to subdivide into “estate-sized” single-family homes in September, after one property on Golf Road asked to build three homes on a 1.5-acre lot. The hope would be that subdivisions like this could allow more density to move downtown by creating larger lots elsewhere.

During a public hearing in early September, council heard from a three-person petition against the proposal and the lawyer of a neighbour who worried more homes could reduce groundwater for existing properties with wells. However, several others wrote in supporting the proposal—one woman said it was a “prudent use of land that is largely filled with lawns.” Kent council has now voted in favour of the new zone, which will allow the Golf Road property to be subdivided into three lots and pave the way for similar developments.

We’re bringing independent, local-first, in-depth reporting to serve you and our community.

Subscribe for free and plug in to the news that matters in Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Mission, and the rest of the Fraser Valley.

By filling out the form above, you consent to receive emails from Fraser Valley Current. You can unsubscribe at any time. View our privacy policy here.

Having trouble with the form? Contact us at

Grace Kennedy

Reporter at Fraser Valley Current

Tags in this Article

Latest Articles

The key news happening in the Fraser Valley.

Community Profile   Lifestyle

December 8, 2021

Live music returns, but will it be the same?

Live music faced a reckoning during the pandemic—could relationships, venues, and artists survive?


December 7, 2021

You might need a permit before fixing your flooded home

Residents wanting to repair their damaged homes after floods and landslides may need to apply for a building permit before getting out the hammer.